Sunday, April 12, 2009

Chapter 6: Craft Names

In Romeo and Juliet there is the quote:

"What's in a name?

That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet."
Juliet is trying to let Romeo know that a name is just a name. She would still love him even if he were called something else. And this is a good point many people make when thinking of taking a craft name.

Do you have to have a craft name? No. It is up to you. But let’s look back at why witches have chosen to have a separate name from their given birth name.
In the old days, when they were hunting witches it was safer to be known by another name when practicing your craft. Many people who sought a witch for advice or care only knew her by her craft name. This protected her in the public eye. They were never able to connect the two names to one person.

In many cultures children are given a name with the full understanding that it will be changed as soon as they are of age. Some times it is changed several times before the child is an adult. It is changed to mark different accomplishments in life. When the child is grown he or she will take a name of their choosing. Many in centuries past would never allow their child’s given name to be known by anyone but the parents. They created a special name for the child. This was to protect the child from anyone or anything that was evil and would use their name to lure them away.

There are several reasons why you choose a craft name and they are all just as important as the others are. Many people like the idea of having a new name, something they have picked for themselves, something that describes them as a person. Some feel that they are better able to practice their craft using a different identity. When we can separate ourselves from the ordinary world without fear of being caught or judged we are able to set ourselves free. We will do more and experience more when we are free from society’s judgment. Many witches feel that by using another name they are another person, someone who does not have the responsibilities of everyday life. There are witches and Wiccan’s who have several names, one name for the public to know, one that they use in private that no one knows and then one they may use in their coven.

I personally do not have a craft name. I did for many years when I was in the “broom closet”; it was a name suggested to me by someone. It sounded nice and I liked the way it looked on paper so I used it. But when I came out in the open I dropped the name and resumed using my given name. This was a personal decision for me and I am very adamant about using my name and I feel very proud that my name is associated with me in all aspects of my life. Don’t think I did not look for a new craft name, I did. I wanted something cool and mysterious. But, nothing was ever right. It always sounded so silly or corny to me. Finally, when I decided to stop looking and accept that the Goddess was telling me my name was fine it was then that a close friend told me that my name has always been Cynthia in one form or another. In lifetime after lifetime it was always the same. This is why I have such a strong connection to my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment